Pagan Federation International Pagan Federation International Forum Index Wiccan Rede Magazine

Obituary: Isaac Bonewits

New topic   Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => News

Previous :: Next  
Link Post number 10989 Posted: 12th August 2010     Subject: Obituary: Isaac Bonewits
Obituary: P. E. I. (Isaac) Bonewits, Neopagan Author and ArchDruid Emeritus

VALLEY COTTAGE, NEW YORK: Philip Emmons Isaac Bonewits, founder and Archdruid Emeritus of? r nDra? ocht F? in: A Druid Fellowship, one of North America's leading experts on ancient and modern Druidism, Witchcraft, magic, the occult, and the rapidly growing Earth Religions movement, died at home surrounded by his family on Thursday, August 12, 2010, after a short struggle with cancer.

Mr. Bonewits first came into the public eye when he graduated from the University of California at Berkeley with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Magic and Thaumaturgy (1970). During his tenure there, Mr. Bonewits worked with many renowned professors, including physicist and Nobel Prize Laureate Owen Chamberlain. The work he did for this degree became his first book, Real Magic: An Introductory Treatise on the Basic Principles of Yellow Magic (1971).

In 1983, he founded and became the first Archdruid of? r nDra? ocht F? in: A Druid Fellowship (ADF), an international fellowship devoted to the creation of a public tradition of Neopagan Druidry. In 1995, he retired from a leadership role due to complications from eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome. ADF has grown to become the best-known Neopagan Druidic group based in North America. At his death, Mr. Bonewits held the title of ArchDruid Emeritus.

During his forty years as a Neopagan priest, scholar, teacher, bard, and polytheologian, Isaac Bonewits coined much of the vocabulary and articulated many of the issues that have shaped the rapidly growing Neopagan movement in the United States and Canada. Mr. Bonewits was one of several thought leaders who pressed the Wiccan and Pagan movements to embrace their true origins and refrain from claiming an unbroken lineage traceable to the ancient world. Both movements have gained integrity as a result of his work.

Mr. Bonewits was an internationally known speaker who educated, enlightened and entertained two generations of modern Goddess worshippers, nature mystics, and followers of other minority belief systems. He played a key role in explaining these movements to journalists, law enforcement officers, college students, and academic researchers.

His personal papers will become part of the American Religions Collection at the Library of the University of California at Santa Barbara.

One of his most influential contributions was the Advanced Bonewits Cult Danger Evaluation Frame (the "ABCDEF"), developed in 1979 as a response to the Jim Jones People's Temple tragedy. It has been translated into many languages and used around the world to evaluate the potential danger or harmlessness posed by religious organizations. It was the first such scale to use theories of mental health and personal growth to evaluate risk rather than applying theological or ideological standards of evaluation.

His other books include Authentic Thaumaturgy (1979, 1998), The Pagan Man (2005), Bonewits's Essential Guide to Witchcraft and Wicca (2006), Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism (2006), Neopagan Rites (2007), and Real Energy (2007), co-authored with his wife, Phaedra. Mr. Bonewits also wrote numerous articles, reviews and essays. As a singer-songwriter, he released two albums, Be Pagan Once Again (1988), and Avalon is Rising (1992).

He is survived by his wife, Phaedra, his son from a previous marriage, Arthur Lipp-Bonewits of Bardonia, NY, his mother Jeannette, his brothers Michael and Richard, and his sisters, Simone Arris and Melissa Banbury.

Visit us at www.us.paganfederation.org
Morgana Post number 10991 Posted: 12th August 2010     Subject:
Many thanks Link!

I have made a link from the Facebook page too.

It's a very sad day.

I am posting a rather special photo to "strictly private" - go an have a look.
Nero Post number 10994 Posted: 13th August 2010     Subject:
One of the saddest news lately. Hard to say more right now.

For here / Am I sitting in a tin can / Far above the world / Planet Earth is blue / And there's nothing I can do
Cody Post number 10995 Posted: 13th August 2010     Subject:
Here is the list all notices from pagans and ADF at all:

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Eurik Post number 10996 Posted: 13th August 2010     Subject:
That he passed away fills me with sorrow, but thanks to his work and him living his own dreams and ideals, he'll be with us for ever.
Morgana Post number 10997 Posted: 13th August 2010     Subject:
Thanks Cody,

and here too

http://www.examiner.com ... -passed-away

http://www.examiner.com ... its-passes-2
Thestoryteller Post number 10998 Posted: 13th August 2010     Subject: Like an Ocean is this World
Like an Ocean is this World by Hovhannes Erzingatzi (Born 1260)

LIKE an ocean is this world;
None undrenched may cross that ocean.
My ship too its sails unfurled,
Ere I knew it was in motion.

Now we draw towards the land,
And I fear the sea-board yonder:--
Lest the rocks upon the strand
Break and tear our planks asunder.

I will pray God that He raise
From the shore a breeze to meet us,
To disperse this gloomy haze,
That a happy land may greet us.
Paul Post number 10999 Posted: 13th August 2010     Subject:
Yesterday, Isaac Bonewits passed over to the Summerland.

There is a wonderful tribute to Isaac Bonewits on The Wild Hunt.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to meet him in a lecture on Druidry and creativity, which was very interesting. A few months later we heard he was sick.

I don't agree with every thought he spoke or wrote down, but still I think Isaac Bonewits was a valuable force in the development and acceptance of paganism. He will be missed.

Awen blessings to you, Isaac. Be well in the Summerland.
/|\

Fulltime prutser
Mo Post number 11004 Posted: 14th August 2010     Subject:
he will be greatly missed for sure, and was a delight in person. Such humour and intelligence, and independent perspective, he will take some catching up with; 0) My thoughts are with Phaedra and Isaac's family.

blessings

Mo.
Saddie Post number 11008 Posted: 14th August 2010     Subject:
He will be missed desperately. He was a great pagan and a great teacher. [Sad]

B*B
Saddie
Morgana Post number 11088 Posted: 26th August 2010     Subject: More tributes
Wes Isley. Writer, biker, minister Posted: August 18, 2010 10:29 PM

http://www.huffingtonpo ... _687138.html
A Tribute to Neopagan Visionary Isaac Bonewits (1949-2010)
Show:   
New topic    Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => News
Show YouTube films